About Jarrett’s Joy Cart
As a patient himself, Jarrett Mynear knew long days at doctor visits and stays in the hospital could be boring, scary, and depressing. For this reason, at the tender age of 9, he started Jarrett’s Joy Cart in 1999, a program that offers moments of JOY to children in various types of crisis situations.
Based in the Lexington, Kentucky area, Jarrett’s Joy Cart, an all-volunteer non-profit organization, is directed by Jarrett’s Parents, Jennifer and Doug Mynear, and a host of dedicated helpers. Since Jarrett started his Joy Cart in 1999, Jarrett’s Joy Cart has touched the lives of tens of thousands of children from all across Kentucky and beyond.
We have a wide range of programs and outreach efforts to bring smiles, laughter, and learning to children who have been faced with challenges that no child should have to face. We particularly concentrate on children from across Kentucky being treated at KY Children’s Hospital in Lexington. Many of the children we serve have chronic childhood diseases such as cancer, cystic fibrosis, asthma, kidney and heart issues, just to name a few.
Thanks to support from wonderful donors, we have expanded our services to include:
- Weekly visits to Kentucky Children’s Hospital and a new toy or gift for each of approximately 60 patients, ages 0-18, both inpatient and outpatient
- Treasure box items for patients served at Kentucky Children’s Hospital Outpatient Specialty Clinics
- Arts/Crafts, games, toys, books, and more for use during long clinic stays for outpatient appointments at the Pediatric Outpatient Specialty Clinics
- Instituted the Health, Education, and Empowerment through Play (HEEP) program through support of the Children’s Charity Fund of the Bluegrass. HEEP provides books, DVDs, and educational play items for patients with chronic and life-threatening illnesses to learn about their disease.
- Provide Party Blowouts to the Pediatric Pulmonary Clinic for use during breathing exercises. Respiratory Therapists have found improved compliance for at home exercises with these fun character-themed blowers
- Clean Cabin awards and items for the “Camp Store” for campers at the annual Kids Cancer Alliance Summer Camp
- Annual Jarrett’s Joy Cart Holiday Store where Jennifer, Doug and a team of ‘elves’ open a Free Store one Tuesday in December for patients in the hospital to ’shop’ for their family, complete with their very own personal shopper. Gifts are wrapped with loving care
- Sponsor an activity at the Annual Childhood Cancer Survivor Picnic
- Provided Scholarships for 7 Big Brothers/Big Sisters of Lexington children to attend Aviation Camp in the summer of 2014
- Numerous special one-time projects on an as-needed basis
- We have many ideas for further expansion and look forward to sharing those with you in the near future
Jarrett would be so proud to know that his Joy Cart has directly touched tens of thousands of Kentucky’s kids.